Sunday, April 22, 2012

Today's Activity: Victoria Peak


I really needed some fresh air today so I did one of the most touristy activities in Hong Kong, riding the Peak Tram up to Victoria Peak. The Peak Tram has a long history in Hong Kong; it was the first cable funicular in Asia, with service first commencing in May 1888. The Peak Tram was featured in the 1950s movie, Soldier of Fortune, starring Clark Gable and included in an episode of the Love Boat. Read more about the history of the Peak Tram. 

I waited for about an hour to get on the Peak Tram. Normally I would never wait an hour for such a short trip, but I was feeling touristy, so I went with it. Overall, the trip is 1,365 meters (4,478 feet) long and takes about seven minutes to complete (one-way). Once at the top, I went to the 360 Viewing Deck, where you can see a full view of the city. To the north, you can see Central Hong Kong, Kowloon and Lantau Island. To the south, you can see Lamma Island and the South China Sea. 

Besides the viewing deck, there is also a mall at the top, which is not surprising. There is also a square, which is great for people-watching. The Peak includes plenty of trails that wind around the peak and picnic areas. I walked one of the main trails, which took about an hour to complete. It was so refreshing to get some air and a little exercise. Overall, it was a great day. 

Below are some of the pictures I took on today's adventure. 

Peak Tram Entrance

View from Peak Tram

Victoria Peak Viewing Deck
The Mall at the Top
View of Hong Kong (facing north)
Facing South

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment