Saturday, April 7, 2012

Exploring Hong Kong

Last night, after I wrote my blog post, I hit up a couple of bars in my area, LKF. One was an Irish bar and the other was a generic american bar, which played classic american tunes. It felt odd to be at an Irish bar considering I was in Asia, but I went it. At the Irish bar, I got a nice Stella draft and read a local Hong Kong Arts & Entertainment paper about Hong Kong. One of the articles featured six Hong Kong photographers using their iPhones to photograph the city. They explained that they shed all of their bulky, expensive photo equipment and opted for their mobile phone because of their simplicity and covertness. All of the photographers seemed to be using the iPhone app, called Hipstamatic. I had never heard of the app before. I'll have to check it out when I get back to my computer.

This basic article inspired me to find a creative outlet. When I was in undergrad at USD, I was really into photo. I took an Intro to Photography course and Portraiture course. I even worked in the darkroom for a semester. But when I moved to DC, work and school became my focus and it left little time for taking pictures. Being in Hong Kong is my chance to kickstart this creative outlet once again. With this in mind, today, I'm feeling energetic and motivated to explore the city through a camera lense. 

I left the apartment around noon and headed East. Rather than give you a verbal account of where I went and what I saw, I've posted a bunch of pictures below. Enjoy!




 



View from Hong Kong Park

Government House (in foreground)


Justin


No comments:

Post a Comment