Sunday, April 29, 2012

Blur of a weekend.

This weekend was action-packed with activities, but I definitely did not get enough schoolwork accomplished. Friday, I Skyped with Aaron in the morning, then headed down to the Chinese consulate to apply for a Chinese Visa. Unfortunately, they keep your passport for four days for processing. You can get it sooner, but it costs more. I'm going to the Philippines on late Monday night so I wouldn't be able to submit my passport to them. Now, I'll make another trip out to Wan Chai at a later date. I also worked a bit on my homework assignment for my Irrational/Rational Thinking in Management course. The assignment was to look at instances in our life when we had a memory errors/distortion. I wrote about how at my last job (at Anthem), I worked with so many clients on a regular basis and many of the campaigns were very similar so my memory of which client was doing which tactics blurred together. Primarily, new memories distorted old memories and vice versa. This is pretty common and its called interference. That evening, I went to a networking event at the Beijing Club, a high end club right around the corner from my house. The event was put on by InterNations and was an enjoyable event. I was able to connect with a few interesting people and explore what I want to do when this whole experience is over.

Saturday, I had my Irrational/Rational Thinking class in the afternoon, then met Lili and we went to a BBQ at a classmates house. His name is Federico and he's from Italy. He also is an exchange at HKUST, but is also working in Hong Kong, in Finance. He has an amazing flat in the SoHo area of Central, which includes access to a fantastic roofdeck. It was a balmy night and kept raining intermittently. Overall, it was a multi-cultural BBQ, with attendees from Korea, many Italians, Columbia, India, Hong Kong, the UK and of course, the US. We struck up some really great conversation. After the BBQ, we went out in LKF to a club called CASA. We met up with a bunch of other classmates. The night was a ton of fun, but I stayed out way to late.

Today, I've spent all day paying for last night. It's partly a hangover, but also a lack of sleep. I have been trying to work on my project for Applied Strategic Thinking on Luxury Goods (specifically Prada) and also work on an assignment for China in the Global Economy. Both require a lot of mental energy and my mental capability is lacking at this moment. It's not been a good day and I can only blame myself for not getting more done earlier in weekend. 

Justin


No comments:

Post a Comment