Friday, April 13, 2012

Go To Big Buddha

This morning, Ryan and I got up and took the ferry from Hong Kong Island to Lantau Island. We met up with Ryan's aunt (Lerma), who now lives on Lantau Island, but has lived in Hong Kong for over 20 years. Aunt Lerma is quite a character - energetic, full of spirit and talkative. All the personality traits I love in a person. The three of us took a 40-minute bus ride up to see the Big Buddha, called Tian Tan. It is the largest seated bronze Buddha in the world. It was so neat to see the Buddha, surrounded by fog. It was very tranquil...except for all the tourists. I've included a few pictures below.

After eating our free ice cream (which was part of the admission price) and browsing through the souveniar shops, we took the bus back to Lerma's house. We were able to meet Lerma's soon-to-be-husband and see how local Hong Kongers really live. Ryan and Lerma were able to catch up and I was able to hear all about Ryan's family and living in the Philipines. It made me really want to visit the Philippines with a local...especially Ryan and Aunt Lerma. After finishing a bottle of wine, we took a taxi back to Mui Wo and ate at a small Turkish restaurant. I had the falafel, which was authentic and amazingly good. After finishing our meals and saying our goodbyes, Ryand I took the ferry back to Hong Kong island. Overall, it was a fun excursion and thanks to Aunt Lerma for showing us around.

PS...Ryan and Aunt Lerma gave me a Filipino nickname. It is "Budoy", which means young brother.







Justin

2 comments:

  1. I am LOVING your blog! Keep it up!

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Free ice cream should be part of every admission I think, business idea perhaps?

    ReplyDelete