Monday, April 9, 2012

Last day before classes start

Today, I spent a great deal of time walking around the city. My only real objective was to locate a temple and after a little oniline research, I discovered there is one located near my apartment. The temple is called Man Mo Temple and it's pretty small, probably because it is wedged right into the city. When you enter, you're asked to make a small donation. Then, you take incense and place it on the front altar. Below are a couple of pictures I took.



After offering a blessing and leaving the temple, I continued my walk west along Hollywood Road. This particular stretch of road is well known for its antique stores. If you're looking for a 17th century Chinese vase or valuable jade, the hundreds of small antique shops n Hollywood road is where you go. I continued my walk and came upon Hollywood Park. The park had a memorable gateway arch and an interesting pagoda-like structure. There was also a sweet, old woman, doing Tai Chai. 



I continued my walk along the harbor and ventured through Sheung Wan, Wan Chai and ended up in Causeway Bay. Causeway Bay is the place to shop. There are all the familiar western brands along with smaller lesser-known shops selling Korean and Japanese clothing. Supposedly, you can find some deals there. Finally, I ended up in Victoria Park and sat by the racing pond. This where Hong Kongers come to  race remote-controlled motor boats. I would show a picture of the pond, but my camera ran out of juice.

This evening, I am meeting up with two classmates for dinner. They are both exchange students at HKUST too. The first is Jo Chan, an american, from LA. The other is Kriya Pillay, from South Africa. We're going to a Japanese restaurant in Tai Koo, which is quite a ways away from Central Hong Kong. The food is supposedly good and the sake is cheap. Should be fun.

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment