Friday, May 18, 2012

Productive day and good company.

This morning, I woke up with the drive to be productive. I talked to Aaron on Skype for a few minutes, mainly about logistics when he comes on Sunday. He also asked if I wanted anything from the US, but honestly, I couldn't think of anything. You can get pretty much everything in Hong Kong that you can get in the States. Except for good, cheap Mexican food. 


After signing off, I did a bit of job searching. All of the full timers are getting summer internships or job offers so it has increased my anxiety level about finding a job when I get back to DC. Unfortunately, with classes and day-to-day activities keeping me busy, searching for a job has fallen to the wayside. I did, however, find a position that peaked my interest. The position is with the United Nations Foundation, working on global partnerships. It would be a cross between fundraising, corporate relations and major gifts. It would be based in DC too. How cool does that sound? I drafted up a cover letter and submitted my resume for the UN Foundation's review. 


Most of the afternoon, I spent working on schoolwork at my favorite little coffee shop. Around 6, I had plans to meet up with a few other exchange students for Happy Hour at Schnurrbart, a German bar and restaurant, right around the corner from my apartment. Kriya was the first to arrive so we each got a glass of wine and talked about the two job interviews she had. She actually received an offer from Ernst & Young here in Hong Kong. The other people who were supposed to meet us sent messages saying they unable to make it, so group Happy Hour turned into a date with Kriya. : ) 


Kriya and I made the most of it. We were both craving Middle Eastern food (which seems to happen a lot) so we walked up to SoHo in search of a Middle Eastern restaurant. It was raining, which slowed us down. We didn't have much luck finding a restaurant so we stopped at a bar called Tavern to have a drink and ask for directions. Tavern had champagne for their HH special so we each got a glass of champagne. Getting fancy! The waitress gave us directions to a restaurant called Sahara on Elgin Street. After finishing our bubbly, we walked down to the restaurant. Whe we arrived, we realized it was Moroccan, which isn't quite Middle Eastern, but it would do. We shared an assorted platter of hummous w/ pita, falafel, feta and Moroccan cigars. We also had a drinks too. I opted for the Cosmo, which they called, "Queen of the Desert" [Insert joke here]. After dinner, we headed home. 




Food and drinks at Sahara
On a sidenote, I have eaten a lot of middle eastern food while I've been here, especially falafel. There is this fantastic little pizza/middle eastern place right in LKF across the street from my apt. It's a chain called Ebeneezer's, but their food is pretty good and comparatively cheap. Their falafel and Greek salad is good and so is their veggie biryani (which is Indian). 


Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment